Nicolette Addesa #WonderWomanWednesday


 Being from Toronto, I didn’t know many people in this new city. This encouraged me to join clubs on campus to get to meet new people. I volunteered here and there until I found a few clubs on campus that I found a passion for.

As an elected Director, representing the Faculty of Arts, as the assistant to the liaison and special projects officer of the University of Ottawa’s Faculty of Arts, as head of marketing and events for Her Campus and, as president of Equal Voice uOttawa Chapter, I have had several opportunities to consolidate my service leadership skills on many levels.

Being an elected Director on both the Board of Administrators and the Faculty council, representing 7 000 students, I demonstrated integrity by upholding and respecting the diverse needs of each unique department. I was the voice that respectfully shared concerns and possible rational and achievable solutions, to the Dean and the chairs of the Faculty. This role also demanded that I recognize and uphold policies and procedures and ensure confidentiality in many of the items discussed.

As the assistant to the liaison and special projects officer of the University of Ottawa’s Faculty of  Arts for the past 3 years, I was immersed in the multicultural fabric of our city.  Serving and working with students with language barriers, physical challenges, or who may have had dispositions that may be deemed challenging, it became my goal to provide and guarantee a warm and supportive environment to ensure a positive experience under any circumstance. Service leadership was at the core of my role, and in fact I received many acknowledgements in  writing, which led me to receive the opportunity to be an ambassador for the Faculty at various university fairs around the province (Ontario University Fair in Toronto, Applicants fair in the Greater Toronto Area etc.)

As head of Marketing and Events of Her Campus uOttawa chapter, I exemplified both personal and professional integrity by mobilizing volunteers, organizing and executing fundraisers, to raise money for the Lupus Foundation. That year, my teams’ fundraising efforts collected over $6500. My passion for community outreach began when I turned my sweet 16 into a fundraiser for the Children’s Wish Foundation and donated the money to grant another 16 year old their wish.

I found the position of president for Equal Voice uOttawa chapter most fulfilling as it empowers woman politically and that is where my passion surfaces; serving others in a socio-political arena.  My role called upon skills such as collaboration, being open minded, a team player, a forward planner, well organized and approachable.  These qualities allowed me to create a respectful climate for my volunteers where people’s integrity was honoured and the ability to authentically serve the cause was upheld.

Most of the positions mentioned above were elected positions. My advice would be no matter what year you are in, no matter how much experience you think you might lack, apply anyways! To quote former first lady Eleanor Roosevelt, “no one can make you feel inferior without your consent”. If you get the position, great, if not, you will be equipped with the lessons learned for the next time.


We have all heard the famous quote by Babe Ruth “never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game”. You can accomplish whatever you set your mind to. Why? Because you are a girl! 

No comments:

Post a Comment